All Coolabah drought-tolerant varieties, including Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo, should be fertilised at the beginning of Spring and Autumn. A maintenance feed could be needed during the Summer months but try to avoid fertilising during extreme heat. Always refer to your lawn type and fertiliser label rates and packaging instructions for best results.
Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo
A new Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo lawn should be fertilised at least 5 weeks from the day it was installed. From there, every 6-8 weeks will keep it looking nice and green all year-round. Adequate applications of fertiliser will help maintain a healthy, weed free Sir Walter lawn and will also help it maintain its soft broad leaf texture, and proactively prevent any diseases or pest damage.
Fertilisation in Summer & Spring
- In early Spring, apply a complete fertiliser high in nitrogen to help the lawn come out of dormancy. Expect best results when fertilising in mid-September.
- Sir Walter loves chicken manure or dynamic lifter as an organic fertiliser alternative!
- If you choose to dethatch your lawn during early November, follow up with fertiliser to enhance recovery. Avoid doing this during extreme heat.
Fertilisation in Autumn & Winter
- Heavy fertilisation is recommended in Autumn (March-April) to help prepare a lawn healthy enough to prepare for the onslaught of cooler winter weather
- When spreading fertiliser, always wear eye protection and avoid filling the spreader while on the lawn – the slightest spill can affect your turf
- Use Premium Lawn Food especially developed for Sir Walter lawns
If you are installing new turf then we do suggest using a starter fertiliser prior to laying. This will help to prepare your base and will kickstart your turf growth and give it the best chance to transplant.
You should apply a good all-rounder fertiliser to your new lawn 5-6 weeks after its initial installation. From there, use the above guide to help you determine the best time to fertilise according to the season and lawn type.
All Coolabah drought tolerant turf varieties, including Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo, should be fertilised at the start of Spring and Autumn.
To prepare your warm season grass varieties for the cooler months, Autumn fertilisation will encourage prolonged growth. This is the most important time to fertilise your lawn. Generally, two applications in the first week of April and the first week of May is recommended. As we come out of Winter, you should then think about fertising again around the start of September. A maintenance feed during Summer could be required to protect it from seasonal stress.
Watering your lawn immediately after fertiliser is crucial, as it will prevent leaf burn and other issues. We stock both LSA Premium Lawn Fertiliser and Lawn Hand Held Spreader to make your fertilising program easy.
If you need further assistance with determining the best fertiliser regime for your lawn type, contact us!