Perfect for: Residential yards with kids or dogs, or if you are looking for a low maintenance feature lawn around garden beds, courtyards or pools. Performs well in full sun or lightly shaded areas (more than 3 hours of light) with minimal water requirements once established. This is our #1 seller for home lawn areas.
Available: All year round for areas that are full sun. For best results only install in shaded or high traffic areas during warmer months between Sept-April.
Characteristics: Soft broad leaf, which is a luscious, rich emerald green colour. It’s drought tolerant, low maintenance, highly resistant to most common insect pests including Black Beatle, and most turf diseases. It is also salt tolerant and pet resistant.
It has a fast creeping growth habit, which means it is self-repairing against any damage from daily wear and tear. Unlike other creeping grasses, Sir Walter DNA Certified’s unique root system only travels across the top of the soil surface, not underneath it, which means it is less invasive and easier to manage.
This lateral growth habit also helps slow evaporation which means Sir Walter DNA Certified is able to survive on less water. This dense growth habit is not only responsible for reducing irrigation frequency, it also acts as a barrier to weeds. Consequently, Sir Walter DNA Certified is known as one of the most environmentally friendly grasses available, requiring less fertiliser and chemicals than other varieties. Despite its need for few chemicals, Sir Walter DNA Certified will actually withstand the use of a broader range of herbicides, unlike other buffalo lawns, to aid with on-going maintenance should it be required.
Sir Walter DNA Certified thrives in the heat, but will, unlike most other summer active grasses, still perform well in cool climates and shady areas.
Details: As Australia’s go anywhere, grow anywhere premium lawn turf, Sir Walter DNA Certified is the most versatile grass currently on the market.
The initial cost is a little higher than some other varieties of instant lawn, but the ongoing costs of watering and maintaining Sir Walter DNA Certified are a lot less than any other turf. The long-term durability of Sir Walter DNA Certified will also mean greater protection of your investment.
Sir Walter DNA Certified is a new generation soft leafed buffalo, which is protected under the Plant Breeder’s Rights Act. To ensure the supply of Sir Walter DNA Certified is a consistently high standard, it can only be sold by licensed growers. All genuine Sir Walter DNA Certified turf will be sold with a certificate of authenticity.
Expect best results when:
- Spread starter fertilizer and Water Crystals through the top 20-30mm of soil on your prepared area before laying your new turf.
- Fertilised in mid September for it to green up after winter and a second follow up again in April to carry growth on into the cooler winter months. We recommend you use Sir Walter DNA Certified Fertiliser at label rates (eg. 2kg/100m2). Irrigate after fertiliser has been applied.
- Never mow lower than 30mm to ensure unique soft leaf texture throughout most of the year.
- Once established, deep infrequent watering.
- We also recommend fertilising your new turf 5-6 weeks after laying.
Autumn/Winter Installation Instructions: For best results only install Sir Walter DNA Certified in full sun environments during Autumn and Winter. Wet, shaded or high traffic areas should be avoided during this period.
Winter Installation Guidelines and How to Maintain new turf installed in Winter:
- Monitor moisture to ensure that the turf does not get too wet or dry out at any stage.
- Mow only on highest level if needed prior to Spring. Only take a maximum of one third off the leaf each time you mow.
- Remove any leaves from the lawn as they fall.
- Minimise traffic—Sir Walter DNA Certified will not cope with wear while dormant.
- We take all care but No Responsibility for turf laid during the Winter dormancy period.
- We recommend monthly applications of Seasol.
We will supply double lawn starter fertiliser, Water Crystals and Seasol (for orders over 50m2) to enhance root growth during the Autumn/Winter period.
Coolabah turf has expanded its delivery zones across a wider section of the metropolitan Melbourne market. We can now deliver beautiful Sir Walter DNA Certified buffalo turf to a greater number of Melbourne suburbs. Click here to see more about our delivery zones, then place an order and your lush Sir Walter DNA Certified instant turf will be delivered within 24 hours.